Green peas are well known for their nutritious elements. It contains a fair amount of antioxidants and fiber. The current research shows that green peas help to protect against some chronic illness, such as heart disease and cancer. It is a very good vegetable for your diet.
A 1/2-cup (170 gm.) serving of peas provides the following nutrients –
- Calories: 62
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 4 grams
- Vitamin A: 34% of the RDI
- Vitamin K: 24% of the RDI
- Vitamin C: 13% of the RDI
- Iron: 7% of the RDI
Why you will add this to your diet chart?
1) Excellent source of protein
It’s a huge source of protein. The unique protein content of green peas makes them an excellent food choice for vegetarians. Eating protein increases the levels of certain hormones in your body that reduce appetite. Protein works together with fiber to slow digestion and promote feelings of fullness. Eating adequate amounts of protein and fiber may automatically reduce the number of calories you eat throughout the day.
2) Control the blood sugar level
Green peas have several properties that control blood sugar. The vegetable has had a relatively low glycemic index, which is a measure of how quickly your blood sugar rises after eating a food. The effects that green peas may have on blood sugar are known to reduce the risk of several conditions, including diabetes and heart disease.
3) Fiber in peas helps in digestion
Green peas contain a large amount of fiber, which gives many benefits to digestive health. Fiber sustains the good bacteria in the body’s intestines, which keeps them healthy and prevents unhealthy bacteria from overpopulating. This may reduce the risk of developing gastrointestinal conditions, such as inflammatory bowel disease, irritable bowel syndrome and colon cancer.
4) Protect from chronic diseases
Green peas have some elements which protect your body from some chronic diseases. Such as:
- Cancer– Regularly eating green peas may reduce the risk of cancer, mostly due to peas’ antioxidant content and their ability to reduce inflammation in the body.
- Heart Disease– Green peas contain a decent amount of magnesium, potassium and calcium. Diets high in these nutrients may help to prevent high blood pressure, which is a major risk factor for heart disease.
- Diabetes– Green peas have some elements that control blood sugar levels, which is an important factor in preventing and controlling diabetes.
Read Also: Experience the soothing and amazing spring destinations